The Limi Hospital invites you to join our Abuja Health Walk which is designed to help facilitate happy and healthy families, as we have done for over 40 years.
Walking is a great way to improve or maintain your overall health. Just 30 minutes every day can increase cardiovascular fitness, strengthen bones, reduce excess body fat, and boost muscle power and endurance. It can also reduce your risk of developing conditions such as heart disease, type 2 diabetes, osteoporosis and some cancers. Unlike some other forms of exercise, walking is free and doesn’t require any special equipment or training.
Health benefits of walking
You carry your own body weight when you walk. This is known as weight-bearing exercise.
Some of the benefits include:
- – Increased cardiovascular and pulmonary (heart and lung) fitness
- – Reduced risk of heart disease and stroke
- – Improved management of conditions such as hypertension (high blood pressure), high cholesterol, joint and muscular pain or stiffness, and diabetes
- – Stronger bones and improved balance
- – Increased muscle strength and endurance
- – Reduced body fat.
Our Health Walk:
- – Is led by a trained volunteer on a risk assessed route
- – Is about an hour long
- – Has a short warm up at the start, followed by a brisk walk and then a short cool down at the end
- – Welcomes new walkers who would benefit from being more active
- – Is a friendly group walk offered regularly
- – Is an opportunity to meet new people in your area and explore places you might not have been before
Health Walks are aimed at inactive people who would benefit most from doing more physical activity. This can include people who haven’t been active for a while and would like to start again, people recovering from ill health or who are managing a long-term condition and anyone who’s been told by a health professional that they would benefit from being more active.